This week marks the 5th anniversary of a fire at the Station Night Club in Rhode Island in which 100 people died.
One of them was a good friend from my younger years. Funny enough when we would be out seeing a band or at a crowded bar, he would pull me aside to remind me that being a tiny person, if anything went wrong it would be easy for me to get knocked over in the rush and asked me to stand nearer the exits or out the crowd.
Safety in public places is something we all take for granted. It only takes a few seconds to look around when you are out and spot your closest exit – don’t wait for the stewardess.
A fundraising organisation has been set up to assist with the injured and families left behind.