Sunday, April 03, 2011

Boards, Moods and Bulletins

This is the story of a little bulletin board that grew. Creative folks like to call our boards ‘mood boards’ because that is where you stick bits and pieces of inspiration until the mood strikes up an idea.

Living by the bay it was a natural that our board would take on a coastal mood.  As a bric-a-brac collector it seemed to just grow and grow.
Natural textures are the theme for a real beach worn style.  What do you think of a little faux panelling? Big lengths of wood are too heavy to mount on the wall and did a bit of creative painting instead.
Working on faux leather masking tape got me to thinking, hmm with the right colours this could almost look like strips of wood. You can read more about my faux leather on Gaal Creative. 
And it is one of the few times when the cheapest tape gives the best result. I used Sello brand from the local dollar store, the trick is to find the lightest weight tape but in a wide width of 2 or 3 inches or 6cm+.

It was really easy too. Simply cut cardboard to fit the inside of the frame and run the masking tape in long lengths up and down your ‘board’. It is ok if the tape is not completely flat or you get small wrinkles in the tape, this adds to the texture and authentic feel. Leave a little gap .5 cm or 1/8inch between the tape to create groves and a bead board effect.

Paint the grove between the tape with a glaze paint to create a resist, and you know I recommend Tattered Angels Sugar Cane or Cowboy. Before cleaning your brush, wipe it against the raised wrinkles and a couple of light brush strokes up the panel to add texture. When the dries it is time to paint your beadboard.
Using multiple colours will help build up your faux wood effect. Randomly mist splashes of Yellow Daisy in places and before that can dry, wipe down the length of your panels letting the colour catch on raised edges.

A broad sponge brush with a thin light coat of white or cream paint is next. Depending on the level of moisture in your paint and thinness of the tape you may already see bubbles lifting. Let that dry and add a second coat of paint. You will see bits of the darker glaze peeking through in the grove and variations of colour in the wood panels that give you a presto bingo there you go – faux wood panelling.
The Tattered Angels design team is celebrating this month with a peek into our craft rooms follow the link to see what other creative projects are on show.  Linked to Sarah's BC Good Life Wednesdays and Jenny's Alphabe-Thursday.
Thank you Maya for featuring my mood board on Completely Coastal.

45 comments:

♥ Miss Tea said...

oh wow, loving the faux panelling and decorations! thanks for sharing the tutorial.Happy Sunday!

Kathy said...

This is quite fascinating! What a wonderful technique - love your mood board -
summery!
Kathy

Martha Richardson said...

There is something about living near water that inspires one to use nature and items from our surroundings. Love this idea!

Shortbread and Ginger said...

That is really lovely! Very effective.
Liz

Karine said...

What an absolutely lovely piece of work!

summerland cottage said...

Charming !
LoVe the cottage board background,
very clever !

Rose Brier Studio said...

What a very pretty board! I can't wait for beach weather. This puts me in the right mood!
~Marilee

pamq said...

Very cool!

I especially like how you used the smaller frames along the sides.

I always see such neat smaller frames when I am out junking and wonder what to do with them....

Bonita Rose said...

it's my dream to live by the beach one day.. so I really really love this.... thks for sharing how you did it! it's beautiful! xo

the old boathouse said...

Mandy, this is just beautiful. I love when you give us a peek into yor other creative world, cheers Katherine

Connie Mercer said...

love what you did here~beautiful work!!!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I love your style and your creative talent! Thanks for sharing the details!

Sherri said...

I saw your space on the TA Blog and wanted to know...how and what you use to keep your stencils on display?
I just love the idea!

Arabella said...

What a great technique - the finished product is superb! Hope you have a great week :O)

Kirsty Girl said...

gorgeous! I love it.

Sue Lui said...

This is really cool!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful mood board!

Tracy said...

VERY pretty, Mandy--Your board design is simply enchanting! I love this technique... it does look a lot like rough old leather! Thanks for this mini tutorial. I must check out that tape! ;o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

Tiff said...

Oh what a gorgeous frame collage mood board! I adore the weathered texture you have achieved with that panelling! I have several bottles of the Tattered Angels mist in my stash and they are definitately underused! Thanks for sharing your lovely inspirational creation... I especially love the coastal feel too! X

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! I love the shell prints!

FLOWERSHOPGURL said...

OMG, what a wonderful technique to make a mood board, love it! Thank you for sharing.
Hugz,
Kim

Anonymous said...

That looks fantastic!!

Kathy

molly said...

these look fantastic, nice job!

Katherine said...

Love the panelling - the colours are gorgeous and great technique TFS

Hedgehog Reader said...

What a wonderful inspiration - love the natural textures and colors - and awesome faux wood how-to! :o)

Lynn said...

What a clever idea. Your mood board looks great. I'm learning about so many interesting and useful products through blogging. Thanks for sharing and for visiting me at Cottage and Creek. I'm your newest follower. I'm sure I can glean all kinds of techniques from your blog. Great job!
~Lynn
www.cottageandcreek.com

Diana said...

simply and totally beautiful!!

Heather Jacob said...

wow Pearl this is exquisite ... and also fascinating ,unique and full of awesomeness ... hugz x

Jolanda said...

wow,amazing work! Your blog is very pretty!!
Have a very nice day!

Aussie TM5 Thermomixer said...

very cool project, wow!!!

Natalie said...

wow this is just beautiful!
xxx
Natalie

Karen said...

love your mood board!! wish mine looked like that!!!

Unknown said...

Love this idea, never thought of a mood board as a work of art before!

Andrea said...

Are you serious?
It looks gorgeus!
Nice job! :)

Unknown said...

So COOL. What an incredible job and it's so UNIQUE!!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I would call that 'art' and I would call you a creative genius!

La said...

Very creative. I love coastal decor.

Unknown said...

This makes me want to go to the beach.

Theresa Plas said...

Very Cool Technique! Thanks for sharing!

Susan Anderson said...

Oh, yes! I like it!!

=)

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Oh dear, I guess it's time for me to head to the coast...I am missing the ocean!

Judie said...

I can think of a lot of uses for this idea! Thanks!!!

Jenny said...

Thank you for sharing this unique and neat technique. I haven't seen anything quite like this before.

I'm going to bookmark this and give it a try!

Thank you for linking to Alphabet Soup this week.

A+

Anonymous said...

excellent articles, useful for me. keep writing and happy blogging.

generic paxil

Anonymous said...

keep posting like this it’s really very good idea, you are awesome!

paxil